Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Creative Space - To Market To Market


I have been on an unintended blog break for the last couple of weeks. Two weeks ago I did my first market of the year (and only my third ever), the Artefact Market. Really, I don't know how people do them on a regular basis! I was flat out, especially the week of the market, I didn't even go to sleep the night before. Yeah....I will never do that part again.

That said, I did enjoy the market. For me markets are not about the selling, but the response to my making. And the response from the market goers was wonderful. They especially loved my felt food creations. It was fun to see their smiles, hear their comments, and watch them bring someone else over to see them:) My felt Weet-bix got the biggest response. Who knew something so silly would have such an impact? Laura and Penny from the  Oh! Hello Geelong  blog did a review of the Artefact market and highlighted (including pics) my felt creations. How can that not make you feel good about what you create?


It was also fun to see people get what I am trying to do. While I do make many things, when I decided to start selling my handmade items I wanted to be different. I also wanted to be able to create all manners of things in a way that would seem consistent and connected. That ultimately led to me focusing my making for selling on items that have an Australiana theme. I loved having people exclaim over my gumnut babies bibs, or Possum Magic bag tags or Magic Pudding magnets. To hear people comment on my felt lamingtons, wool embroidered native flower hoop art or koala crayons. Yes, all my items are functional and have a purpose, but they also evoke memories and connections.


In the two weeks since the market I have had a string of sales in my Madeit shop (including a custom order) and have just been trying to catch up on all the things I had neglected. But as I look around my house I am thinking there is still lots of catching up to do! So I am glad the school holidays are about to start - I am actually looking forward to just being at home. No  kinder, no school, no ballet, no netball, no swimming etc... No schedule:) There will, however, be some crafting. Both girls have birthdays in April, so I have some projects to finish:)

I hope you have been getting lots done in your creative space and I look forward to catching up on my blog visiting. Check out Our Creative Spaces to see what others have been up to. Cyndy Pin It

1 comment:

Roslyn said...

Those weetbix with banana look so real!! Wow! I love everything Gumnut Babies, reminds me of reading it with my Mum when I was little. Glad you had such great success at the market!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...